A chronicle of my attempts to live a classy life as a single girl in the Nation's Capital

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Farmers Market

This morning I finally went to the nearby Farmers Market run by Fairfax County.  I have been telling myself I would go for months--just delayed it for some reason.  Years ago, I was disillusioned by these markets when I learned (and tasted) that a lot of so called "farmers" were just people reselling produce bought from the same suppliers that grocery stores buy from.  However, Fairfax County only allows actual producers who own and work on farms with a 125 mile radius to sell at their markets. 
Click here to see the various Farmers Markets run by Fairfax Co.
I thought these little carrots were so cute!
My stash.  They also had organic, free-range meat (yay!).  I bought a whole chicken and some ground beef.  I can't wait to roast the chicken. And those fresh dinner rolls are delicious--I am eating one right now.


This is my favorite thing I bought.  They are so adorable and they have an even more adorable name--Fairy Tale Eggplant.  No idea what I am supposed to do with them--I might try roasting them whole.  It will be an experiment.
Selection of heirloom tomatoes




No comments: