A chronicle of my attempts to live a classy life as a single girl in the Nation's Capital

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Quick Sunday Project: Plant Stand

I love, love, love Anthropologie.  And every once in awhile I will treat myself to an item of clothing or household item from their store.  But being a single teacher in my 20s, I am not exactly able to afford a lot of their items. One thing I've noticed Anthropologie often does is adding modern, whimsical twists to classic designs. I have long coveted their garden furniture which takes classic, Victorian wire chairs and tables and gives them an updated look with bright splashes of color.  Here is an example of a chair they have that sells for just under $300: 
You can purchase one by clicking this link


While cleaning up my grandma's house, I saw a plant stand thrown in a corner of the musty garage and thought "ah ha! something I can spray paint a bright, glossy color!" I saved it from the trash pile and brought it back to my apartment.

Here is the stand before, full of rust and dirt but it has potential.

I loved the curly parts on the side!   

To paint something like this, you only need about 3 or 4 supplies. You will need a general purpose sandpaper, steel wool (to remove rust), soapy water/sponge and a can of spray paint.  I use Rust-oleum (Rust-Oleum 245897 Enamels Spray )which is best for metal and outdoor items.
  My Supplies-I skipped the steel wool part       (shh--don't tell!)

After washing and sanding down the stand, I took it outside and sprayed away.  Make sure you are far away from your house and put down something to protect the ground--I took a trash bag and cut down the side and bottom to make a plastic sheet.  Here is the final result: Tres chic (and cheap)!  Now I just have to figure out what to put on it... 

 

No comments: