A chronicle of my attempts to live a classy life as a single girl in the Nation's Capital

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Parisian Lunch

My love of French culture borders on the obsessive--and it can be embarrassing to admit that, no, I have never traveled there.  So where does this love come from?  No clue. 

Yesterday I was watching Tyler's Ultimate on the Cooking Channel and he was in search of the ultimate omelette.  Guess where he went?   Turns out that omelettes are the lunch of choice for French winemakers.  So today as I stared in my fridge wondering what to make for lunch, I decided on an omelette and light salad.  Julia Child agrees--check out this video!  Girlfriend needs to relax with that parsley in the intro though--Green eggs anyone?


Turns out that I've been doing it wrong all along.  You don't put milk in the omelette!  The secret is to whip those eggs until your arms hurt.  You want to see a froth on the egg.

Here's the recipe for my lunch:
(1 Serving)
2 Eggs
3 baby bella mushrooms, sliced with stems removed
Coarsely diced red onion  (I didn't measure, it was about 1/2 the size of my mushroom pile)
Salt and pepper
Parsley

1. Heat a little olive oil in a pan and add the mushrooms and onions.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and saute until onions are translucent.  Set mushrooms and onion aside on a plate.
2. Crack open the eggs in a bowl and whisk them within an inch of their lives.  Then whisk it some more.  You want lots of little bubbles and a frothy top.  I think I whisked for about 5 minutes.  Add some salt, pepper and parsley at the end and whisk in.
3. On medium heat (in same pan as before) put the onions and mushrooms back in and pour the egg on top.  The omelette will cook quickly so act fast!  You will want to push the sides of the egg in and then tilt the pan so uncooked egg in the middle seeps out to the edge.  Do this constantly on all 4 sides until it is mostly cooked.
4. Loosen the egg around the end of the pan and flip in half.  Let sit in pan for a few seconds to make sure the middle is cooked.
5. Slide off the pan onto a plate and serve with a light salad.
Yum!  All I needed was a crisp, cool glass of white wine!  It was a perfectly satisfying lunch.  The eggs were so creamy, the onions sweet and the meaty, earthy portobello mushrooms rounded it out perfectly.  I think I have a new favorite mid-day meal.

No comments: