A chronicle of my attempts to live a classy life as a single girl in the Nation's Capital

Monday, July 12, 2010

Babe in the Woods: Part I

I am not necessarily a prissy girl, but I do like nice things and have certain standards. I like things like AC... and plumbing.  Which is probably why I've never been camping.  I don't even own a working flashlight!  When the power goes out here, I rock it old school and light a bunch of candles.

But about a month ago something possessed me to sign up for a 3 day camping/white water rafting trip in West Virginia with a few friends of mine.  I've always wanted to try white water rafting and was having a whimsical "live your life!" moment so I signed up.  (Never mind the fact that I am terrified of roller coasters)

Now I am 4 days away from leaving and am having second thoughts.  Part of this is brought on by the "dude" in charge of this whole event.  He signs all emails "Schmidtty" (not at all his actual name) and makes constant references to beer and hangovers.  Is he leading me down the river or to a local frat party? I don't mean to sound like an old foagie, but "Schmidtty" is starting to get on my nerves a bit--and I haven't even met him.
This is my mental image of Schmidtty
Here are some actual quotes from his emails (emphasis added):  
1. "Regardless of when you make it down, we will be there waiting for you with a beer in hand."  Good to know Schmidtty!  I'd like a Dos Equis or maybe a Corona. 
2. "People are also bringing a few sets of cornhole, t-toss, custom beer bongs, and lots of other fun stuff as well"  Custom beer bongs??  What have I gotten myself in to?? And who are these "people" he refers to?  I have a feeling it's just him wanting to relive lost college years. 
3. "All of these things can be explored on your own or with a guide (I will be your drinking guide if you need assistance)." Schmidtty--after all that beer you're drinking through "custom beer bongs" I think you're the one who'll need a guide. 
4. "We will not be rushed off the site on Sunday morning, so those of us with a hangover can move as slow as we want." Schmidtty will surface sometime the following Tuesday. His "Bros" will have shamed him appropriately. 


Our fearless leader--after the shenanigans are all over.

But in all fairness, I'm sure he knows what he is doing.  Apparently he has been doing this for several years and mixed in with the jokes about alcohol is legitimate and concrete advice about what to expect and what to bring.  Which leads me to my second hesitation: The STUFF!

As mentioned before, I don't even have a working flashlight.  Much less a tent, sleeping bag or whatever else I may need.

Do I need this?  Please God, don't let me ever need something called a "Luggable Loo"

Luckily I have a friend who has a lot of camping gear and is letting me share her tent, but I still have anxiety over things like do I buy a sleeping  bag or an inflatable mattress?  (At least with the inflatable mattress, I might actually use it again.).  I need to bring food--what do I bring? How will it stay cold? (I'm sure I can just stash it with Schmidtty's beer collection). Do I need to bring a grill? Charcoal?  How do I get charcoal lighted? Is a bikini OK in white water rapids? Or do I bring a one piece?  Wait, do I even wear a bathing suit?? Is there room in the car for all this?  Ahhhh!   

I will spend the next few days frantically trying to figure all this out.  As with most things, I am sure it will be fine in the end and I will be more than prepared. Stay tuned for an update on how it all goes next week when I return--hopefully in one piece!     

No comments: