A chronicle of my attempts to live a classy life as a single girl in the Nation's Capital

Sunday, September 5, 2010

New Furniture and Labor Day Auctions

This past week was my first week back at work--summer vacation is officially over.  I was really excited to be back and can't wait for the student's arrival next week--I really do love what I do and have all sorts of exciting things planned for this year.  But this past week did leave me exhausted and immensely busy, which is why I have neglected writing new posts. 

It's Labor Day weekend, which is a big weekend for those of us who love auctions.  I obsessively browse websites of my favorite auctions and dream about actually having a house with space to put the things that I want.  For my birthday last week, my parents got me 2 pieces of furniture that I fell in love with at a local auction.  Here they are:


Have you ever seen a lamp like this?  The picture doesn't do it justice--it is just so beautiful!  The crystals sparkle when light hits them.  I just sit and stare at it sometimes.
A close up of part of the lamp.

This cabinet is similar to a small sideboard I have in my main living area.  I put this cabinet in a corner of my bedroom and will be using it to display my vintage jewelry collection.  Right now I just have a few pieces (and an old fan of my grandma's) sitting in there temporarily. 
Close-up of the painted portion--when you open the cabinet this part also offers hidden storage!
I also recently went on a trip to downtown Leesburg which had some amazing antique stores (I'll be uploading some pictures for you soon). While there, I bought a lovely Audrey Hepburn-esque vintage hat and a birthday present for myself.  It was a little pricey, but couldn't pass it up!. 
It is a hand drawn and hand tinted early 1900s portrait collection.  It has recently been reframed and matted but the drawings are so cute! 
This is what it looks like overall
This might be my favorite of the 6--though it is hard to chose!
So unique!  One of the reasons I couldn't pass this up is because it is the only one that exists--it's not a mass produced piece that I could find anywhere else (which is also why I love auctions and antiques in general) Also it is just so beautiful. 

As I mentioned before, Labor Day is a big day in the auction world and I wanted to share a few pieces up for auction this weekend that I found interesting.

A Victorian photo album.  In addition to the cool cover--I wonder what treasures lie inside.
Love the colors here.
Call me crazy--but I am OBSESSED with this! When you look at antiques a lot, there are certain things you see over and over.  But this is something I haven't seen before.  A little gaudy?  Maybe... but I love the color, love the elaborate carvings and that mirror! 
Actually a picture of a different piece that I don't care about, but it offers a closer look at the carving of the dresser and the figures in the mirror.  I wish I had an empty room in my place so I could buy this and put it in there. Also wonder if that is a real marble top--if so I love this piece even more. 
Beautiful painting and inlay(?) There is also a matching twin bed frame.
These are so cool!  I want them!  I have not seen anything like this before at auction and it looks like a complete set.
A little morbid and weird--but I think you could do some cool things with these butterflies.
Love the swans and the simplicity of the cups--I wonder if it's hand painted or a transfer?
Imagine how pretty this would be when the light is on.

I think I  need to buy a house, not because I need larger space to live in but so I can indulge my decorating and antique hunting habit. 

2 comments:

thecottageroom said...

Hey, went to this auction! The unusual dresser & mirror was the only item that got NO BIDS in a packed auction house! It was very taste specific. I could have owned it for $50 (!!) but what in the world would one do with it :)

Unknown said...

I Love the unusual dresser too! The carvings are so pretty and that does look like real marble and what a pretty color that you dont see very much of.