A chronicle of my attempts to live a classy life as a single girl in the Nation's Capital

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Vintage Jewelry

I have mentioned before that I love to wear and collect vintage jewelry.  And so without further ado, here is my collection so far.
Note that I am not a jewelry photographer and am not going to spend the necessary money to set up a jewelry photography studio, so most of these pieces looks a lot better in person.

The piece that started it: a gold, orange and yellow piece given to me by my grandma.
It came with matching earrings.  I never wear them because the clip-ons are painful! But I will find a use for them. (buttons on a cardigan perhaps?)
The second piece I got, also given to me by my grandma.  It is much less orange in person--a beautiful coral color.
This one was so hard to photograph! Stunning clusters of pearls and colored crystals.  A real statement piece that always gets attention. A gift from my mom.
Also hard to photograph: silver with beige crystals, turquoise and seed pearls. One of the first pieces I bought myself.
One of my more recent purchases (which makes it a favorite until I buy another)
This is why I love vintage--look at the detail! 
Another newer piece--I fell in love with the color of the stones (not quite as bright in person) and the chains mixed in.
And this clasp!  I think I will wear this necklace sideways to show off these big, gorgeous stones.
Not totally vintage--a handmade piece that re-purposed the vintage bird charm. Contains small rubies and seed pearls.
Substantial .925 sterling silver earrings.  I love these--they are my go to pair.  Though they are very heavy...
An eBay find.  Neat bracelet with different Paris monuments represented.  It is a souvenir piece from the 1950s
This piece is lesser quality than some of my others, but I loved the colors. It was just such a sweet piece.
An absolute favorite of mine.  It is all handmade with LOTS of silver.  My mom got it for me at an antique show.  Since then, I have seen many factory imitations but none measure up to this.  Those are vintage typewriter keys.
An Etsy find (and another gift from my mom).  I have an obsession with vintage watch faces, so here is a bracelet of them.  People who don't "get it" often ask me if the watches work (no) and then look at me like I'm crazy.  I look at them the same way.
I also collect hand-painted vintage pins. I keep my good ones in this case. I saw it when I was 15 and made such a fit over it that my aunt bought it.  I have since learned that a case this size and shape is very rare, desirable, and expensive. Fifteen year old me had a good eye.
Inside of the case.
One of my favorites for its unique subject matter and intricacy
My other favorite. This one is newer but it is the only one I have that is 100% hand-painted.  Up close it is really impressive.
And that's it! (for now...)  Any other vintage jewelry lovers out there? What do you collect?

2 comments:

thecottageroom said...

W-O-W!! Very impressive collection-and how great that you wear them.

Unknown said...

These are all such gorgeous pieces! I am jealous, I recognize a few of these from when mom gave them to you but most of them I have never seen before and they look absolutely stunning! Good thing you have that nice new case in your room to show them off now!