A chronicle of my attempts to live a classy life as a single girl in the Nation's Capital

Thursday, September 16, 2010

10 Things Worth Paying For

There are several things that I will buy the store brand/cheaper version of.  But there are some things that I find necessary to pay a little more for--you can really tell the difference in quality of these products.

1. Ketchup: I've tried the store brands, they just taste like sweet, red goop.  And with that in mind, I also buy the more expensive...

2. French Fries: The brand names have larger fries and more potato taste

3. Mascara: It goes on better, lasts longer, never smudges and makes my eyes look great!
My favorite mascara: Lancome Hypnose Waterproof in Black

4. Leather shoes and handbags: I admit.  I will judge people by their shoes.  You can just see (and smell!) cheap or imitation leather and it looks shabby.
Adorable Cole Haan bag

6. Clothing: I used to go to bargain stores and, yes, had tons of clothes.  But where are those clothes now?  They quickly fell apart! Cheaper clothes may look stylish, but seams rip, buttons fall off, fabric looks and feels cheap and you are constantly picking little threads out of your clothes!  With the more expensive pieces, I have them for years and they still look great and I still get compliments.  Sure, I don't have as many clothes.  But what I do have is quality that lasts.
My favorite store--Anthropologie

7. Jeans: All I have to say is go to IndiDenim and get custom made jeans.  Considering they're custom, the price isn't that bad. And they will change your life (maybe that's a little dramatic, but they are awesome)

8. Tea: The difference between drinking something heavenly and drinking something that tastes like weeds
Trader Joe's has really great tea--this jasmine is one of my favorites

9. Liquor: This should speak for itself.
This and fresh squeezed grapefruit juice--yum!

10. Vintage or Handmade Jewelry: it's (almost) one-of-a-kind--you aren't going to walk into any store and find it again--and such a great addition to any outfit.  Just be prepared: people really notice vintage pieces and you'll likely get a lot of compliments.
Gorgeous necklace made from several different salvaged vintage pieces.

No comments: