A chronicle of my attempts to live a classy life as a single girl in the Nation's Capital

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Love and Other Disasters

I am a huge movie fan / buff so I am always hesitant to say that I love a movie.  And when I do, I am terrified that the person will take it as representative of my taste which is actually quite varied.
But on this unusually chilly August day, I returned to a favorite of mine, Love and Other Disasters starring the late Brittany Murphy.  It's not a great movie as far as cinema goes, but it is a lovely, fun, marshmallow of a movie.  The movie is meant to be a modern day take on Breakfast at Tiffany's which it only kinda does and I love the original too much to dare compare this movie to it.
But one thing that draws me to this movie over and over is the fashion--and Paolo.
Paolo--or Santiago Cabrera.  One of very few celebrity crushes I have.
And also Catherine Tate--a British comedian who I think is hilarious (favorite quote of hers from the movie "I told him I don't generally get into vehicles that cost less than my handbag. And he accused me of being a snob") .  But back to the fashion--it echos the 1960s and Murphy's makeup is what inspired me to give liquid liner a try and the '60s cat-eye wing thing (I don't know the official name); which I haven't perfected yet but I'm still trying.
LOVE this dress! Classic shift, sparkly, great pumps.  My goal since I first saw this movie was to find this dress.  I'm still searching.  I wish I could wear my hair like that--but my hair is too fine.
Simple black tank, understated and beautiful.  Love the lipstick color
Headbands=instant style.  I'm beginning to wonder if I should get bangs again... Thoughts? Wearing black again--always chic and in style. 
This is the only photo I found of the pink raincoat she wears throughout the film.  It has a large, floppy collar and with the black wardrobe she generally wears, the color adds a nice bit of whimsy.
Good close-up of her makeup.  I need to get a good nude lipstick ASAP.  Does this look work on blondes with fair skin though?
Even gorgeous while sitting on the toilet (she was hiding from someone in the apartment, not attending to any biological needs.  That would be un-classy.)
My posts seem to be rather fashion oriented lately.  Perhaps it's time for a makeover?  Or maybe just because Fall is approaching, which is always an exciting time of new beginnings for me.

And now, Santiago again...

Oh I do love this movie... Did I mention he has a lovely Chilean accent?

3 comments:

thecottageroom said...

Pink raincoat has a "portrait collar" - how lovely!Would look so stylish on a rainy day.

Anonymous said...

beautiful artists

Clinton von Clarkson said...

I am watching it now. From where is her brown bag?