A chronicle of my attempts to live a classy life as a single girl in the Nation's Capital

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Bring Back the Hat!

Tonight's episode of Project Runway featured hats by Philip Treacy, an avant garde designer whose hats look a little like something designed after smoking large amounts of illegal substances.  
But it's art --interesting to look at, creative and a little bit of humor. Other than Lady GaGa, I can't imagine who wears them in public...

"Dude--I have the best idea.  I'm gonna make a hat of other hats!"  Maybe not Treacy's exact design process--but possibly close. 
A nightmare-ish attack of... butterflies
Also useful for increasing satellite reception on windy days
These hats are fun to look at and the Runway challenge reminded me of something I am always saying: "we need to bring back the hat!"  In a time when shows like Mad Men are so popular, I am surprised I don't see more people adding this fun and elegant accessory to everyday outfits. Perhaps it's time I actually do something about "bringing back the hat" and purchase a few of my own.  Since I am obsessed with vintage items in general, I started with vintage stores.  Here are a few hats I am lusting over:
I love red accessories, and this color is perfect for fall! ( from The Vintage Hatbox)

I find this hat to be very elegant--and it offers great shade! (from Dorothea's Closet Vintage)
Sometimes I wonder if I am a little crazy--but fashion should be about taking risks right? I love the veil and feathers (Dorothea's Closet )
I love this one because it is a toned-down version of the large hat worn by Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's (from Amber's Attic)
Again wondering if I'm crazy to want this. (Antique Dress )

Love the color! (poshgirlvintage.com )



I could go on--I love browsing vintage clothing sites.  Maybe one day I'll actually buy something from them.  Is anyone out there also wanting to bring the hat back?  This is one accessory that needs to make a comeback!

No comments: