A chronicle of my attempts to live a classy life as a single girl in the Nation's Capital

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Homemade French Fries

Yesterday I was craving french fries. I didn't have any, but I did have a bag of white potatoes and some idea of what I needed to do.

It's actually really easy to do and the result was delicious! Here is my finished product:



I chose to bake the fries because I didn't feel like dealing with the mess of hot oil. The fries turned out perfectly crispy and were healthier when baked at 450 degrees for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.

To make the fries:

1. Peel and slice a potato (1 small potato is about 1 serving). Try to make the slices about the same thickness.
2. Put slices in a bowl of ice water for at least 30 minutes (this get the starch out for crispier fries)
3. Remove fries from water and squeeze dry in between paper towels.
4. Put fries in a jelly roll pan (a baking sheet works too, but a jelly roll pan allows you to toss all ingredients together)
5. Drizzle with olive oil, sea salt, fresh cracked pepper and a dash of paprika.
6. Toss together so all fries are coated.
7. Arrange in a single layer and bake at 450 for 20 minutes or until crispy. Flip after 10 minutes.

I also found this ketchup at the grocery store. It's a new product and I highly recommend it. There is no corn syrup or chemical ingredients. Just simple tomato, vinegar, sugar and spices.

1 comment:

thecottageroom said...

Wow these look so good-might be inspired to give them a try!!