A chronicle of my attempts to live a classy life as a single girl in the Nation's Capital

Monday, October 4, 2010

Dancing Etiquette

Okay, I know I said I was going to post my week of Real Simple dinners several days ago.  I have all the pictures ready and the post half finished--it's coming, I promise!  I'm feeling a little lazy though and have something else I'd rather discuss: Dancing Etiquette.

I went out to Georgetown this weekend, which wasn't my first choice because I generally don't like hanging out at bars full of college students and wasted people.  I prefer the cute lounges on U Street, but I do enjoy dancing and Georgetown does have plenty of that.

Now I know some guys who will adamantly disagree with me on this.  But I'm right.  Because I'm a girl and I know.  Just because I am present in a club where dancing is happening and I choose to partake in said dancing does NOT mean I am a) necessarily wanting to dance with your sweaty self  or b) trying to hook up for the night.  I might just genuinely want to dance with my friends. Which is what I am trying to do...

Call me old fashioned, but what ever happened to guys asking permission to dance before getting all up in my space.  I just find it so unbearably rude! And to top it off, if I try to escape from this random guy who has quite literally attached himself to my hip, I am subjected to being called a bitch.  Yes.  It's happened.

And considering that dancing in clubs does not look like this (but I wish more of the "men" there did):






Than the guys really should ask first. It's just polite. This past weekend, I actually found myself thinking "God, guys are disgusting." Of course this was while trying to get rid of one particularly irritating guy who was sweatier than average, was grunting, and kept making this face:

"O" Hell NO!

It's not that I'm snobby or uppity while out. My group ended up moving to a less crowded area where I spent the night dancing (a bit foolishly at times) with male and female friends of mine--but they were polite! And I had a great night--my night isn't ruined by this but I do find it mildly annoying. All I would like is for boys out there to behave with a bit more decorum--and not think they have the right to yell at me if I don't respond favorably to their uninvited moves.

This video kinda explains it--that's me this Saturday at 20 seconds in--until we changed locations. Although the video gets a little strange towards the end--it is a funny parody of the SNL video.

What do you all think? When this happens to you (girls) do you feel the same way or am I being too prissy? And guys.... seriously?!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HAHAH yeah I completely agree with you! I hate it when some fat ugly sweaty guy just is suddenly all up on me and I cant shake them all night. I wish guys would ask too it would be so polite.

thecottageroom said...

Love the video! How do you flip that ring finger??? Mine is spazzy~~~