A chronicle of my attempts to live a classy life as a single girl in the Nation's Capital

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Summertime

Summer is rapidly approaching and while I am excited about the warm weather, pool, and time off; I am kinda freaking out about fitting 2 novels into the remaining 2 months of school.  It will be done! 

I have been embracing the weather by redecorating my deck.  I went to HomeGoods (an awesome discount store) and got some new, cool things.  I also got new chairs at 50% off from World Market.  I loved the old chairs, but they weren't really comfortable. 

Porch before--some cute pieces but that darn orange camping chair... It was comfy at least.  But I didn't want it on my porch anymore.

The other side of the porch before. Even the watering can is on its side...

New decor--view from my living room.

This is the side that had the orange chair.  I am going to be using that bag of soil so it will be gone soon.

Other side after--that wall needs something.  I have ideas...

There are no electric lights on my porch so I have lanterns.  I found these at HomeGoods and I LOVE them.  They are the blue color, the glass is pressed glass and the brass has intricate designs punched in it.

The plant stand I rescued from my grandma's last year.  I am still working on collecting cool (and cheap) pots.  I loved this mirror too--I think it's an unexpected touch. 

And finally, the rug I got from thefoundary.com for less than $20!  It has such pretty colors!  And keeps me from tracking stuff inside


Next week: plants!  I will, of course, have pictures to share.  I have also really been channeling summer through my cooking lately:

Fried shrimp, coleslaw and hashbrowns with dill.  Pan frying a few shrimp for one is really easy!  I recommend trying it.

Steak fajitas!  I made a quick pico de gallo and a Mexican rub for my steak.  The steak was so good!  Tip: cook the steak first, then the peppers and onions.  It gives the steak time to rest, seasons the veggies, and the hot pan gives the peppers the charred look and taste you want.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

food looks super yummy i'm gonna have to try those two dishes!!! new deck also amazing, looks comfy and inviting! I want to plant flowers on my deck this summer too but i just dont have the time right now, annnd vegas in only 9 days... dosn't seem real to focused on finals this week.

Deborah said...

Love the new deck! I'd like to have those meals served to me out there!