A chronicle of my attempts to live a classy life as a single girl in the Nation's Capital

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Quarterlife Crisis

These past few weeks, I've been feeling a little like everything is falling down around me. This past week alone, here are a few of the things I've done/thought:

1. Cried about my job for the first time ever
2. Drastically cut my hair on a whim (I needed a change! And I like it now.)
The pic I showed my stylist and new hairstyle. Though not so messy.  Unless students make me start pulling my hair out.  Again.
 3. Yelled at, then walked out on, my journalism class.
4. Researched how much it would cost me to go back to school and get a masters in Art History ( a long dream of mine, but bad job market.)  about $13,000 at George Mason
5. Did a little job search on the Smithsonian Museum website
6. Got angrier and angrier about the person who stole my debit card and spent over $300 at a Korean grocery store
7. Then got more and more frustrated about my financial situation.  How badly I want to invest and plan for my future but have absolutely NO extra money to do so.
8. Realized, yet again, that things are not actually working out for me romantically
9. Felt pressure because I keep thinking I'm running out of time to deal with all this finance, job, love stuff.  I'm supposed to have that figured out now right?!?
10. Felt bad/guilty for whining about all this in the first place.  After all, these aren't real problems right?

And as I was driving home today with my new haircut, considering shopping and getting new clothes (I didn't, wrong time of year for that!) I realized I felt like I was dealing with a midlife crisis, but minus the whole "midlife" thing.  So I did the math and decided this would be a quarterlife crisis.  Curious, I googled it and it turns out that it is a REAL THING!

There are books , a wikipedia entry and even a movie on the topic.  And of course there's www.quarterlifecrisis.com

I also found a candle. But I'm not linking to that because it's just too stupid and we shouldn't dignify it with any more views. 

So, great, there is a "reason" for the way I'm feeling.  But now what?   If you need me, I will be found in the Self Help section of Borders, surrounded by books about how to make it through the "horrible" mid-20s.

Or in the salon, getting my head shaved because I need a "change."  Suddenly Britney Spears doesn't seem so crazy.
She was about 26 when she did this... just think about it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There are definitely real problems. If you think they are problems then they are it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Keep your spirits up about your job till the spring when you can look for one at a different school, as for they person that stool your debit card, what an ass and I hope they find the guy/girl and do something with them cause that is just wrong. As for you love life, guys are rude jerks, well most of them are at least you sadly need to go through a lot of bad apples for find that fresh delish one that is not rotten. You are an amazing women and will find the right man for you!!! Just dont give up, however I have found it true that when you stop looking someone great just falls into your lap. However, you are not to old to be having these issues I'm not even going to be out of school till i'm almost 30 then i'll be dealing with all that stuff so to me you got a head start! I love you and i cant wait to see you at christmas!